Tuesday 10 February 2015

I don't know anything about bikes

I chickened out of fixing the puncture myself  (I did try to get the tyre off so that I could assess the damage but I couldn't get it to budge without levers) and took the wheel over to Infinity cycles in Durham this lunchtime.

It's fixed now and I have equipped myself with:
  • two spare inner tubes
  • three tyre levers 
  • a puncture repair kit
Since I had such an issue getting the pocket rocket pump (ha ha) to fix onto the presta I have decided that I'm going to carry the pump that I actually can use in case I get caught in any road side puncture dilemmas again. I have a saddle bag on the way and will take the above kit with me wherever I go.

This whole episode has shown me how much I love and enjoy cycling - I am STILL disappointed that I couldn't get a proper ride in on Sunday and I went to the bike shop as soon as I could physically get there to fix it all to ensure that I am definitely able to get out first thing on Saturday.

It has also shown me how little I actually know about bikes. So in an effort to learn the basics I spent the last half hour before bed last night reading this Essential Pre Ride Checks  . I panicked for a good 15 minutes and began the search for nearby cycle maintenance courses.

I need to learn how to fix the bike by myself - I can't rely upon kind hearted cyclists stopping to help me each time that I get a puncture!

Tomorrow I have an afternoon off of work and I'm going to go and check out the The Cycle Hub in Gateshead.

Sunday morning will be spent in a FixIt! cycle maintenance class at Evans Cycles at the Metrocentre.

Yesterday at work I dropped my bag and an inner tube and some perfume fell out. I thought that was quite funny. I've changed.   

2 comments:

  1. Highly recommend picking up the bible http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bike-Book-Complete-Bicycle-Maintenance/dp/0857331183/ if you're planning on doing more of your own maintenance.

    It's brilliant, and you can get it for next to nothing if you buy the previous edition in somewhere like The Works.

    ReplyDelete